Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Utah Politics

I have had my fill of political commercials and political talk for at least another four years. I'm finding that I have been oversaturated by the insipid commercials for Bush and Kerry, Huntsman and Matheson, and Matheson and Swallow. Hell, Swallow irritates me almost as much as the say yes to Amendment 3 commercials!
I watched the gubernatorial debates on Channel 2 last night and I came to the conclusion that Huntsman and Matheson are equally qualified and they think almost exactly alike. In fact, the only issue they disagreed on was Amendment 3. There was the same old talk that if they were elected, class sizes would be reduced; that's an argument I recall hearing way back in second grade and I'm pretty sure it was the same old talk before I was born. The only thing they said that I thought was worthwhile is they want to get better paying jobs coming into Utah. Once again, I know this is all just a bunch of rhetoric, but for a single white woman without kids who gets paid just enough to scrape by, it sounds really good.
Now I'm going to say a few things that will probably get people I love riled up. As everyone knows, I'm all for gay marriage. I don't know why people are so freaked out about the whole idea of gay marriage, but I know that they are. They are so afraid of giving people equal rights that they are gearing up to pass an amendment for crying out loud. I daresay they'll succeed in getting Amendment 3 passed because there aren't many outside the Salt Lake area who would object to keeping things as they are.
Although I'm not planning on voting for Amendment 3, I say go ahead. Let Amendment 3 pass. If Amendment 3 passes, it will bode well for the GLBT community in the long run, as well as those het couples involved in non-traditional relationships. Let's face it, the ACLU probably has something written up and ready to take to court questioning the constitutionality of Amendment 3. They're just waiting for the votes to be tallied. The court will have no other choice but to side with the ACLU on this matter. There is already precedence in Florida where the same, or a very similar version of our amendment 3 has just been knocked down by the judges. If, for some reason the Utah Supreme Court decides Amendment 3 is perfectly legal, then the ACLU will march right up to the federal level to get Amendment 3 overturned. Not only will Amendment 3 be overturned, but I suspect that the courts will mandate equal rights for same sex couples.
On the off chance Amendment 3 doesn't pass, things will continue as they are; unfortunately, I suspect that there's less of a chance of gays getting equal civil rights if Amendment 3 doesn't pass because the issue will be swept under the rug for at least another four years.
Naturally, since I don't know a whole lot about law and political science, I could be way off in my way of thinking, but I suspect Amendment 3 could be a blessing in disguise for those who vote against it and a curse for those who approve of Amendment 3.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a former criminal (employee) for the territory of Utah, I must say our laws do suck (like a black hole). I will admit having travelled most of this land named for Vespucci, our laws are better in some cases than Tennessee, or Texas. In Nemesisbraska people would call the cops on me evertime I stopped somewhere, (problably due to the fact that I look like Charles Manson). Back to my point of futility as it were...personally I think the idea that would work best is if we had a marriage tax - of about 10 percent of the combined income, with the money going to an account to take care of the children, mortgage, etc..in the case of a divorce. Please bear with me though...I'm not for further taxation without representation or simply punishing hard working people for the sake of being a bastard. What I am saying is perhaps if there was a 10 percent tax of the combined yearly income (for that year) of the aforementioned, it would quite simply level the playing ground. That's a chunk of coin ladies and gents. Besides I personally don't see any sanctity of marriage when the odds of a crap shoot are better than a marriage making it five years. To further my point...a reknowned celebrity and Bush supporter (most likely a repub...family values etc..) was married then divorced in a 48 hour period. Yep, Britney Spears. Marriage is sacred...oooo. Oh I see. It's sacred unless the old lady pisses you off, or the old man is just a prick. Irreconsilable differences is all forgivable though, and you can even get married again, and again...hell, ad infinitum! Maybe if there were more cost to all maybe the personage of conventional lifestyles wouldn't be in such a rush to the proverbial altar of sacrifice. On the other hand, maybe the conservatives would drop the amendments and let gays have the same benefits as heteros. Personally I wouldn't want Mr. Bush's job, I don't think he or anyone else are bad people, just out of touch. Son-of-a-bitch! Sorry for ranting on your web page. Anyway I have enjoyed your site and sincerely hope I haven't pissed you off.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, that anonymous is me. I'm at pariahpete@hotmail.com. Anyway, I'm just so happy there are others that are as pissed of at our politcs as I am. Thank's and cheers Darthlaurie.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home