Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Menage a Trois

A wise man once said one can not serve two masters. Perhaps he had never tried; perhaps those who translated those words could not fathom the myriad ways the human heart and mind opens and expands with each new day of living and loving.
Love mimics biological processes; that is the reason why it often seems like life itself. Love, like the cells in our bodies, multiplies and grows. We can not control the way our love expands when someone new comes into our lives, any more than we can change the direction blood circulates in our veins.
It was a hard lesson to learn how to open oneself to the possibility of loving one person; hard to accept that another person can feel love for more than one person at the same time. Our society disapproves and denies such things are possible because they recall that saying that one can not serve two masters, even though every person has an experience that tells them otherwise. We love our parents, siblings, and children, but we love them each in their own way. There is a different love and dedication for each person; otherwise we could not satisfy the hopes and needs of those we love. Thus, I've learned to accept that love procreates love and life.
Two masters. Each person vastly different than the other, but equal in their own ways. How could I choose one above the other when each fulfills different desires and needs? They came to an understanding at the start that they would respect each other and learn from one another and teach me as well. We all learn. One doesn't stop learning after death. After all, so many perspectives become available when one doesn't have to fuss with the needs and desires of a body, or so I've been told by one master.
I am bound and blindfolded. I feel the flogger's caress, a knife's cold edge on my shivering skin. One master savors tormenting me, feeling the heat emanating from my body while the other looks on, recalling the days when we played. He nods with approval or laughs as I jump with surprise when the flogger hits an unexpected place. He delights in the pleasure of the living as much as he did when he was flesh.
Each day that passes I'm grateful that I can serve two masters without dividing myself in half or denying myself the love I feel for each. I feel safe and secure knowing that if one isn't around, the other is, watching from a distant place, comforting me and dissolving my insecurities. One is never alone for very long with two masters, even though it may occasionally seem like it. After all, one must learn to stand alone and think through their own decisions if they are to submit to even one master.
I live and I love and I grow. They are interconnected and the bonds between the three grow stronger, just as the bond between me and my two masters grows as the days turn into weeks then months, and finally pass into years. Let others limit their love if they so choose, but I will choose to let my love multiply in its own time and place as I serve my two masters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home