Thursday, July 14, 2005

128 lbs "stout?" wtf!

In the stars' summer shape-up issue of TV Guide (June 19), cover girl KELLY RIPA weighed in on the subject of how she keeps her glam figure. During the conversation, the "Live with Regis & Kelly" host commented on her high-school weight, and her words have caused an uproar among fans."
TV Guide was surprised that we had such a large reaction from readers," says ALI GAZAN, associate writer for the weekly magazine."Anytime we can fill a whole 'Letters' page on one article, it is a huge response."The exact quote from the magazine is: "But back when she was a big-haired high school cheerleader, the 5-foot-4 blond clocked in at128 pounds. 'That was a fun weigh-in for cheerleading,' Ripa jokes. 'I was stout. I had four legs, including my two upper arms.'"
Since the issue hit the newsstand, TV Guide has been inundated with people writing in to say that 128 pounds is not a bad weight for a woman of Kelly's height and they feel she was promoting a negative image for young girls.
"One reader said that 128 pounds at 5-foot-4 isn't bad at all," Ali explains. "In fact, it is normal, but she also says that Kelly does have a personal chef and that is probably how she keeps her weight down.
"We had another reader who said that even though Kelly felt this way and said she had a great body from pushing around her kids, it had alot to do with good genes, which is also true."
Obviously, this is a hot button issue, and Ali adds that young girls need to keep in mind that while Kelly felt stout at that weight, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are stout if they have the same stats.
"Kelly is in Hollywood and they have different standards than we do,"Ali points out, "There is a little more pressure to feel thin in Hollywood."

And here is my initial response: WTF???????!!!!!
And here is my more thought out response:
WTF???????!!!!!!!! But then again, I believe Regis' wife, Joy wears a size 0. I seem to recall her saying one time years ago that after the holidays one year she actually went all the way up to a size five (gasp!).
The problem with saying "Hollywood had a different standard" (and I believe the show comes from New York) is that the "standard" has bled into mainstream/ small-town America. I got to a point where I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on a fairly regular basis. I discovered that the more I watched it, the worse I felt about me. Whereas the episodes of Xena I watched made me feel good about myself (let's face it, Lucy Lawless had an amazing, strong, muscular body...it wasn't a willowy, whispy thing). She really has an almost anti-Hollywood look.
I hope that it's only a matter of time until the media on both coasts start to realize we want to see women who look like us and share our struggles and passions (i.e. plus sized people aren't always focused on their weight). Of course, perhaps part of the problem lies within ourselves and our community; perhaps because far too many of us tune in to those shows and buy the products that are advertised during those shows we become a part of the silent, approving majority. Someday I hope to see a voluptuous, curvy gal on Desperate Housewives beguiling all their love interests.

1 Comments:

Blogger by chance said...

Buffy is crap, I LOVE Xena. Even though I'm a girl, I find her much more attractive than Buffy. That whole skinny blonde look is just so uninteresting to me. When I first saw Xena my first reaction was that she looked a lot like Bettie Page. She kicks ass and she looks BELIEVABLE doing it, which I cannot say for Buffy (I cringe at those sissy 'punches' she throws).

My lady friends all like Xena and think she's breath takeningly beautiful, and yet I run into one two many GUYS who thought she was too "manly" or "butch", and "not feminem enough" and that they preferred Callisto (another character on the show that is even skinier than Buffy with blonde hair) who I find to look like a preying mantis, go figure. (And I've never run into a woman who felt that way). But now that Lucy Lawless is a little slimmer and has lighter hair [her natural hair color] those same dudes say that "She's hotter now" and bull like that. Those kind of comments just prove my theory.

Okay I'm running on a tangent. Sorry, lol ^_^

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home